Civil Status Documents Related to Birth: Certificate, Copy of an Act or Attestation

Declaring the Loss or Theft of a Birth Certificate or Copy of an Act of Birth

To declare the loss or theft of a birth certificate or copy of an act of birth, telephone the Directeur de l'état civil.
This procedure must be followed before you apply for a new birth certificate or a new copy of an act of birth. A note will be added to the Québec register of civil status to invalidate the lost or stolen document, as a prevention measure against identify theft.

Survey:Your comments about this page...

To continue, correct the error(s) below.

1. You must at least answer one question or write a comment.

The content of the page:

  • has met my needs?
  • was easy to understand?