Repossession of a Dwelling

Notifying a Tenant of Repossession

When a landlord wishes to repossess a dwelling, written notice must be given to the tenant within the period prescribed (see Deadline). The notice must contain all the necessary information.

The tenant may agree or refuse to vacate the dwelling.

The Régie du logement strongly recommends that landlords use the Notice of Repossession form that it has drawn up for this purpose. This form meets all legal requirements.  
Proof of Receipt
It is recommended that the tenant be notified in one of the following ways:
  • by registered mail
  • by hand (obtain an acknowledgement of receipt)
  • by bailiff
  • by any other means that allows proof of receipt to be obtained

In the event of a hearing, the bailiff may require proof of receipt.

Survey:Your comments about this page...

To continue, correct the error(s) below.

1. You must at least answer one question or write a comment.

The content of the page:

  • has met my needs?
  • was easy to understand?