Renewing or Modifying a Lease

Contesting a Lessee’s Refusal of a Proposed Modification of the Lease

To contest a lessee’s refusal of a modification of the lease, the lessor must file an application to modify the lease with the Régie du logement, within the prescribed time period. The parties must then prepare for a hearing at the Régie.

Before turning to the Régie, it is recommended that lessors and lessees try to reach an agreement. In the event of a rent increase, the parties can use the calculation tool made available by the Régie to determine the applicable increase and, based on this information, attempt to agree on an amount.

If the lessor fails to file an application to modify the lease within the prescribed time period, the lease is renewed with the same conditions, that is, without the proposed modifications.

Survey:Your comments about this page...

To continue, correct the error(s) below.

1. You must at least answer one question or write a comment.

The content of the page:

  • has met my needs?
  • was easy to understand?