Partition of Benefits Accrued in a Public-Sector Pension Plan after a Separation

Requesting Payment of the Value of Benefits Accrued in a Public-Sector Pension Plan

To request payment of the value of benefits accrued in a public-sector pension plan (PSPP), the person who contributes or has contributed to the plan, his or her spouse, or the representative of either spouse (lawyer, notary or accredited mediator) should proceed as follows:
  1. Complete the form Application for Payment of the Value of Accrued Benefits Under a Public-Sector Pension Plan.
  2. Attach the required documents
  3. Send to Retraite Québec.
Subsequently, Retraite Québec will send to both spouses a letter confirming the amounts awarded. Whether they were married or civil union or de facto spouses, the amounts awarded through partition must be transferred into one of the following:
an annuity
  • a locked-in retirement account (LIRA)
  • a life income fund (LIF)
  • a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP)
  • a registered retirement income fund (RRIF)
Transfer to an RRSP or a RRIF can only be done if the contributor is entitled to a refund of contributions as at the date of assessment of benefits.
The person receiving such sums must send the following to Retraite Québec: 
  • the adhesion contract for the financial vehicle to which the sums are to be transferre
  • the duly completed form Direct Transfer of a Single Amount under Subsection 147(19) or Section 147.3
  • the name and address of the financial institution where the sums should be transferre
  • the investment vehicle selected
Some amounts cannot be transferred into any of the retirement savings vehicles mentioned above. In this event they will be paid by cheque, minus the applicable federal and provincial withholding taxes.

Survey:Your comments about this page...

To continue, correct the error(s) below.

1. You must at least answer one question or write a comment.

The content of the page:

  • has met my needs?
  • was easy to understand?