Residential Adaptation Assistance Program

Registering for Option 1: Professional Support

To register for Option 1: Professional Support, the person with a disability must:

  1. if he or she is a tenant, obtain the homeowner’s permission for the work to be carried out in the dwelling
  2. contact the Société or a local community service centre (CLSC) in the region to obtain a program registration form
  3. fill out the form (ask the homeowner to complete the section of the form that concerns him or her)
  4. enclose the required documents with the form
  5. send the complete application to the Société
To obtain a CLSC’s contact information, use the Finding a Resource online service.
Application Processing
The steps involved in processing your application are as follows:
  • The Société forwards the application to the CLSC in charge of assigning an occupational therapist to the person with a disability and to the municipality or regional county municipality (RCM) where the person with a disability lives.
  • An acknowledgement of receipt is sent to the person with a disability. He or she can then find out when the CLSC will be able to take charge of the file and opt instead to use the services of a private-sector occupational therapist, if he or she wishes. In that case, he or she will have to follow the procedure on his or her own.
  • The occupational therapist and a representative of the municipality or RCM visit the home of the person with a disability. The representative draws up a list of eligible work based on the occupational therapist’s recommendations. 
  • The owner of the home occupied by the person with a disability must present one or more bids from contractors to the municipality or RCM. If the person with a disability is the homeowner, he or she is not required to present any such bids.
  • The owner must choose a contractor who is entered in the Régie du bâtiment du Québec’s register of licence holders, who has valid GST and QST numbers, and who is not listed in the register of enterprises ineligible for public contracts to carry out the work in question.
  • The homeowner must obtain authorization from the municipality, RCM or Société before performing any work.
  • Once the work has been completed, a representative of the municipality or RCM will check it to ensure it has been carried out as agreed.
  • If everything is in order, the financial assistance is paid to the owner by the person in charge of the file at the municipality or RCM.

Survey:Your comments about this page...

To continue, correct the error(s) below.

1. You must at least answer one question or write a comment.

The content of the page:

  • has met my needs?
  • was easy to understand?