Support-Payment Collection Program

Applying to Be Exempted from the Support-Payment Collection Program

To apply for exemption from the support-payment collection program, both former spouses must proceed in one of the following ways, depending on their situation:
  • If the application for exemption is made at the beginning of divorce, separation or support proceedings, they must either: 
      • Contact a legal adviser, who will file a motion for exemption with the court.
      • Or, indicate clearly in the documents required for the divorce, separation or support proceedings that they agree to an exemption. 
  • If the application for exemption is made after a judgment awarding support payment has been rendered, the former spouses must: 
      • Draw up the documents required for the application (or have a legal adviser do so).
      • File the application documents at the office of the clerk of the Superior Court at the courthouse where the judgment was rendered, or at the courthouse closest to the residence of either former spouse, and pay the required fees.
Once the agreement is approved by the special clerk, a new judgment is rendered. The former spouses will each receive a copy of the new judgment by mail.
To find a courthouse, use the online service Find a courthouse.

Survey:Your comments about this page...

To continue, correct the error(s) below.

1. You must at least answer one question or write a comment.

The content of the page:

  • has met my needs?
  • was easy to understand?