When a Couple Separates.

Assigning a Lease or Subletting a Dwelling

Régie du logement

Modifying a Lease in the Event of Cessation of Cohabitation

Important Notice

This page is being updated. Meanwhile, as the information currently online may not be complete, we invite you to consult the French version. Thank you for your understanding.

The married or civil union spouse of a lessee or his or her de facto spouse (i.e. the person who has been living with the lessee for at least six months), a member of the lessee’s immediate family or an in-law of the lessee who wishes to continue occupying the dwelling and become the lessee after the lessee’s departure.

To modify a lease in the event of cessation of cohabitation, a written notice must be sent to the lessor within the prescribed time.

The Régie du logement strongly recommends using the model Notice Regarding the Cessation of Cohabitation form it has drawn up for this purpose, as it meets the statutory requirements.

Proof of delivery
The Régie recommends that notices between lessors and lessees be provided in one of the following ways:

  • By registered mail
  • By hand (obtain an acknowledgement of receipt)
  • By any other means enabling proof that that the notice has been sent and received

In the event of a hearing, proof that a notice has been sent and received may be required.

  • traduction anglaise
  • ;#16;#Régie du logement;#