When a Couple Separates.

Separation Agreement in a De facto Union

Ministère de la Justice

Important Notice

This page is being updated. Meanwhile, as the information currently online may not be complete, we invite you to consult the French version. Thank you for your understanding.

If you are a de facto spouse and your couple has broken down, you can sign a separation agreement with your former spouse to specify how your joint property will be divided up. In most cases, each spouse will keep his or her own property, after proving ownership by showing a bill or contract for each item.

However, unless specified in the agreement, neither spouse is required to make support payments. Family mediation program of the ministère de la Justice can help you negotiate an agreement on an amicable basis, in the interest of all family members.

  • ;#2;#Provincial;#
  • ;#10;#Legal and judicial questions;#
  • ;#2;#Citizens;#
  • ;#8;#Justice;#
  • traduction anglaise
  • ;#5;#Ministère de la Justice;#
  • MJQ