When a Couple Separates.

Marriage and Civil Union Regimes

Ministère de la Justice

Obtaining a Copy of a Marriage or Civil Union Contract

To obtain a copy of a marriage or civil union contract, contact the notary before whom the contract was signed or, if applicable, the notary’s successor.

The notary who has the original contract may be found by

  • contacting the registry office of the district where the marriage took place, if the marriage was performed prior to July 1, 1970 (registration was then on a voluntary basis; thus if none of the two spouses requested registration, the copy of the contract won’t be available); or
  • contacting the Register of personal and movable real rights, if the marriage was performed on or after July 1, 1970 or if the contract concerns a civil union.

If the notary who has the original contract cannot be found, the Chambre des notaires du Québec may help to conduct a search.

  • traduction anglaise
  • ;#5;#Ministère de la Justice;#