Coping with a Loss of Independence

Residential Adaptation Assistance Program

Registering for Option 1: Professional Support

Any person with a disability, meaning an individual who:

  • has a disability resulting in a significant and persistent impairment
  • is likely to encounter obstacles in their everyday activities
The person with a disability must determine what adaptation work has to be carried out in his or her home himself or herself.
Eligible Work
The work is eligible if it:
  • involves modifying and adapting the home so that the person with a disability can enter and exit it and independently access the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room and pursue his or her everyday activities
  • constitutes a simple, functional and low-cost solution
  • is permanent
  • is completed within 12 months of the date on which the certificate of eligibility is issued
Eligible Buildings
To qualify, the building must be the home of the person with a disability. It may be:
  • a single-family house
  • a multiple-unit residential building 
  • a rooming house
  • a mobile home
  • a seniors’ residence housing up to 9 people and certified by the ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux
  • a family-type resource (a foster family or foster home)
Some buildings are ineligible:
  • a building used seasonally
  • a building serving as a hotel
  • a building whose operating deficit is covered entirely or partly by the Société

To register for Option 1: Professional Support, the person with a disability must:

  1. if he or she is a tenant, obtain the homeowner’s permission for the work to be carried out in the dwelling
  2. contact the Société or a local community service centre (CLSC) in the region to obtain a program registration form
  3. fill out the form (ask the homeowner to complete the section of the form that concerns him or her)
  4. enclose the required documents with the form
  5. send the complete application to the Société
To obtain a CLSC’s contact information, use the Finding a Resource online service.
Application Processing
The steps involved in processing your application are as follows:
  • The Société forwards the application to the CLSC in charge of assigning an occupational therapist to the person with a disability and to the municipality or regional county municipality (RCM) where the person with a disability lives.
  • An acknowledgement of receipt is sent to the person with a disability. He or she can then find out when the CLSC will be able to take charge of the file and opt instead to use the services of a private-sector occupational therapist, if he or she wishes. In that case, he or she will have to follow the procedure on his or her own.
  • The occupational therapist and a representative of the municipality or RCM visit the home of the person with a disability. The representative draws up a list of eligible work based on the occupational therapist’s recommendations. 
  • The owner of the home occupied by the person with a disability must present one or more bids from contractors to the municipality or RCM. If the person with a disability is the homeowner, he or she is not required to present any such bids.
  • The owner must choose a contractor who is entered in the Régie du bâtiment du Québec’s register of licence holders, who has valid GST and QST numbers, and who is not listed in the register of enterprises ineligible for public contracts to carry out the work in question.
  • The homeowner must obtain authorization from the municipality, RCM or Société before performing any work.
  • Once the work has been completed, a representative of the municipality or RCM will check it to ensure it has been carried out as agreed.
  • If everything is in order, the financial assistance is paid to the owner by the person in charge of the file at the municipality or RCM.

  • traduction anglaise
  • ;#15;#Société d'habitation du Québec;#