You can apply for a death certificate or copy of an act of death if:
- your name appears on the act of death recorded in the Québec register of civil status
- you can justify your interest in obtaining such a document
The death must first have been recorded in the Québec register of civil status.
You can apply for a death certificate or a copy of an act of death in the following ways:
Applying Online Through DEClic!
Apply online using the DEClic! service (requires clicSÉQUR authentication). Then you can track the processing of your application using the online service Verification of the Processing Status of an Online Application.
Applying with the Form
After completing the form Application for a Certificate or Copy of an Act – Death, do one of the following:
- Together with your payment and all of the documents specified on the form, mail to the Directeur de l'état civil in Québec.
- Go to a service counter of the Directeur de l'état civil, or one of the regional offices of Services Québec that offers services of the Directeur de l'état civil, present the form to the clerk with the required documents, and make the payment required.
Applying through DEClic! Comptoir
To use DEClic! Comptoir:
- Go to a service counter of the Directeur de l'état civil, to one of the regional offices of Services Québec that offers the service DEClic! Comptoir, or to the local employment centre for Baie-James.
- Present the required documents to the clerk and make your payment.
The clerk will give you a transaction receipt with the file number for your application.
At the same location, you can then use a self-service Internet workstation to access DEClic! Comptoir and conclude your application, using the file number on the transaction receipt along with your postal code (in Canada or the United States).
If you prefer, you can conclude your application at any other location with Internet access. Note that you will have 3 days in which to do so, with a maximum of 3 attempts. After 3 days or 3 attempts, if you have still not completed the process you will need to reactivate your application. To do so, call the telephone number shown on the document you received with the transaction receipt.