Non-digital documents may be consulted in paper format at the registry office in the region where an immovable is located.
Digital documents may be consulted on the Registre foncier du Québec en ligne, as well as downloaded and printed. Since the register is updated regularly, it can be accessed only at certain times:
- Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.;
- Saturday and Sunday: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
A person can consult the online land register even without a client account. However, anyone who intends to consult the register on a regular basis should open an account.
Tools to help consult the register
The following tools have been developed to help search the register.
- Service d'assistance à la clientèle de Foncier Québec
This phone service is offered by land registry specialists to clients of the register. These specialists can answer questions of a legal, administrative or operational nature and help resolve technical problems related to remote transactions.
- Interactive assistance
The transactional section of the Registre foncier du Québec en ligne (in French only) contains help screens that provide contextual assistance for performing certain tasks or filling in fields when you consult the register or order products and services online.
- Le Registre foncier du Québec en ligne - Aide à la consultation
This document (in French only) is designed to help navigate the online land register. In particular, it explains how to use the various consultation tools. It also contains useful tips for every step of the online session.
- Manuel d’instructions pour transiger à distance avec le Registre
This online guide (in French only) to remote transactions with the land register is intended for clients who do transactions online. It is linked directly to the interactive assistance available in the transactional section of the online register. The guide should be read before the first remote consultation session. The guide contains:
- information on the register’s products and services,
- a description of the process for electronic transmission of acts to be entered in the register,
- an explanation of each of the steps involved in consulting a register, an index or a document electronically,
- an explanation of how to order copies of documents online,
- information on navigating from one document to another,
- an explanation of the changes made to the computerized register.
- Foire aux questions
This section (in French only) of the website answers questions that clients frequently ask concerning the Québec land register.
- Foire aux questions techniques
This section (in French only) of the website answers questions that clients frequently ask concerning technical difficulties experienced when navigating the online land register of Québec.
To search a property in the online land register of Québec, the lot number and name of the cadastre are required.
Municipalities have information on lot numbers and cadastre names, and many have posted this information on their websites. Consult the online Répertoire des municipalités for the contact information of Québec municipalities.