Clientele – Services available in Québec
Any person who has received, outside Québec, healthcare services available in Québec and who
- is a Québec resident (that is, the person lives and is ordinarily present in Québec);
- is eligible for the Québec health insurance plan;
- has a valid health insurance card.
The person must not remain outside Québec for 183 days or more (consecutive or non-consecutive) in a calendar year (January 1 to December 31) and must be able to prove it.
In calculating the 183-day period, do not take into account any stays outside Québec of 21 consecutive days or less.
Québec residents who remain outside Québec for 183 days or more (consecutive or non-consecutive) in a calendar year remain covered (along with their dependants) by the Québec health insurance plan if they are
- students (proof must be presented) pursuing studies outside Québec in a recognized educational establishment;
- unpaid trainees (proof must be presented) attached full time to a university institution, university-affiliated institution, research institute or government or international organization located outside Québec;
- persons absent from Québec because they hold employment or are carrying out a contract outside Québec on behalf of a company, business or corporation that is established in Québec and to which they are directly accountable, as well as Canadian government employees posted outside Québec;
- persons staying temporarily in another Canadian province because they hold temporary employment or are carrying out a contract as a self-employed worker;
- employees of the gouvernement du Québec posted outside Québec and employees of a non-profit organization having its head office in Canada who are working within the scope of an international aid or cooperation program recognized by the ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux;
- persons staying outside Québec who are covered by a social security agreement.
Once every seven years, Québec residents insured by the Québec health insurance plan may stay outside Québec for more than 183 days (up to 12 months) without forfeiting their entitlement to ensured services.
Clientele – Services not available in Québec
Any person who is insured by the Québec health insurance plan and whose condition required the person to receive specialized medical services that are not available in Québec
Before leaving Québec, the person must have obtained approval from the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec for reimbursement of the services.
To apply for reimbursement of the costs incurred, complete the form Application for Reimbursement – Healthcare Services Covered Outside Québec and send it to the Service de l'application des programmes of the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec, together with the required documents.