What to Do in the Event of Death.

Compensatory Allowance

Ministère de la Justice

In the event of your spouse’s death, you may be able to claim a compensatory allowance if you can provide proof that, during your marriage or civil union, your personal contribution was so significant that it contributed to the enrichment of your spouse’s patrimony in property or services (for example, you made a regular contribution to a business without receiving a salary). The allowance may be in the form of a sum of money or property.

You must submit the request to the liquidator in the year following the death of your spouse. You must reach an agreement on the amount of the allowance with the heirs and legatees by particular title. If you fail to reach an agreement, the amount will be set by the court.

  • ;#2;#Provincial;#
  • ;#10;#Legal and judicial questions;#
  • ;#2;#Citizens;#
  • ;#6;#Personal finance;#
  • traduction anglaise
  • ;#5;#Ministère de la Justice;#
  • MJQ