If you have been appointed liquidator and have agreed to assume the responsibility, you must carry out all of the steps to settle the succession. You will have
- to obtain official documents (death certificate, copy of an act of death, will search certificates from the Chambre des notaires and the Barreau du Québec;
- identify and contact the heirs;
- enter the notice of appointment of liquidator in the register of personal and movable real rights ( RDPRM);
- inform the federal and provincial governements, financial institutions and service providers of the person's death;
- make the inventory of the succession's property and debts and publish the notice of closure of inventory in the RDPRM, etc.
Before disposing of property, the liquidator must request authorization from Revenu Québec by completing and submitting the Notice Before Distribution of the Property of an Estate form and from the Canada Revenue Agency by completing and submitting the Asking for a Clearance Certificate form.